Re: Documentation of server configuration

Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-general
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Documentation of server configuration
Date: 2004-11-13 20:20:51
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

I've just spent a day working through the current set of server
configuration parameters, and I think that the documentation at
<http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/runtime-config.html> has
reached its peak of unusability. I haven't been able to find a single
parameter all day except by using a text search over the file.

A couple of obvious faults:

- There are too many sections.

- The sections don't have any obvious order.

- The subsections don't have any obvious order.

- The lists of individual parameters inside the sections don't have any
order.

- If a parameter has a list of possible values, the values are not
listed in a consistent order.

I have made an attempt and reformatted the whole section into one big
alphabetical list, and while that has obvious drawbacks, I feel that
it's already much more usable than what we have now.

Other ideas?

--
Peter Eisentraut