Re: JDBC executeUpdate returns 0 for table partitioning rule insertion

Lists: pgsql-jdbc
From: "Tea Yu" <teayu1(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC executeUpdate returns 0 for table partitioning rule insertion
Date: 2005-12-06 10:45:21
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi there,

The scenario is quite simple - insert into a partitioned table in which a
rule forwards the insertion into an inherited partition (Postgresql 8.1)

However, JDBC returns 0 during Statement.executeUpdate(sql). It behaves
normally when partition rule is removed.

It applies to the following driver builds:
8.1 Build 404 (all JDBC ver)
8.2 dev Bulid 500 (all JDBC ver)

Any clues? Thanks much!

Tea

Does the data actually go in the partitioned table, and if so can you
send us a test case.

The driver is just reporting the result code from the backend so ???

Dave
On 6-Dec-05, at 5:45 AM, Tea Yu wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> The scenario is quite simple - insert into a partitioned table in
> which a
> rule forwards the insertion into an inherited partition
> (Postgresql 8.1)
>
> However, JDBC returns 0 during Statement.executeUpdate(sql). It
> behaves
> normally when partition rule is removed.
>
> It applies to the following driver builds:
> 8.1 Build 404 (all JDBC ver)
> 8.2 dev Bulid 500 (all JDBC ver)
>
> Any clues? Thanks much!
>
> Tea
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

> The scenario is quite simple - insert into a partitioned table in which a
> rule forwards the insertion into an inherited partition (Postgresql 8.1)
>
> However, JDBC returns 0 during Statement.executeUpdate(sql). It behaves
> normally when partition rule is removed.

That's certainly not what I'm seeing here. I've attached my testcase. So
I've shown you mine, now you show me yours.

Kris Jurka

Attachment Content-Type Size
Rule.java text/plain 625 bytes