Re: Slony-I 1.0.4 Released

Lists: pgsql-announcepgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: "pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)pgsql-hackers"(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Slony-I 1.0.4 Released
Date: 2004-10-21 21:55:12
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

The Slony-I team is proud to present the 1.0.4 release of the most
advanced replication solution for the most advanced Open Source
Database in the world.

The release tarball is available for download
http://developer.postgresql.org/~wieck/slony1/download/slony1-1.0.4.tar.gz

There are a limited number of "new features" this release largely in
terms of adding in the ability to move or drop tables and sequences
from replication:

- SET DROP TABLE - drops a table from replication
- SET DROP SEQUENCE - does the same for sequences
- SET MOVE TABLE - moves a table from one replication set to another
- SET MOVE SEQUENCE - moves a sequence from one replication set to another

Other changes involve smoothing out the 'sharp edges' found by early
adopters, notably including:

- Frequently vacuuming pg_listener; growth of dead tuples could hurt
performance

- A cleanup process for pg_listener resolves cases where old slon
processes may have terminated due to network problems, leaving
backends around holding onto event notifications

- Lowered lock level on sl_event, resolving issues where pg_dump
would block Slony-I

- Purges CONFIRM entries for nodes that don't exist anymore

- Substantially increased documentation

- More sophisticated administration scripts

- Now uses string comparison for user defined types that do not have
a suitable comparison operation

- Safer log purging

- Various other bug fixes and "improved cleanliness."

- As of 1.0.4, the slon replication engine refuses to work against
any database that does not have the stored procedures for the same
version loaded or where the shared object containing the C language
support functions and the log trigger does not match the version
number. in a cluster must be upgraded at once.

See the HISTORY-1.0 file for a detailed list of changes.

<http://slony.info/>
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html

> The Slony-I team is proud to present the 1.0.4 release of the most
> advanced replication solution for the most advanced Open Source
> Database in the world.
>
> The release tarball is available for download
> http://developer.postgresql.org/~wieck/slony1/download/slony1-1.0.4.tar.gz

May I use it on a machine with a postgres 7.4.5 installed with RPM ?

Regards
Gaetano Mendola