Re: [Fwd: Re: UnixWare 7.1.3 (BETA), C99 compiler,

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: Dave Prosser <dfp(at)caldera(dot)com>
Cc: borealis(at)lists(dot)caldera(dot)com, jls(at)caldera(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: UnixWare 7.1.3 (BETA), C99 compiler,
Date: 2002-10-28 14:54:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave,
Thanks for the details, I've copied this reply back to the PostgreSQL
guys as well.

LER

--
Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: ler(at)lerctr(dot)org

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Prosser <dfp(at)caldera(dot)com>, borealis(at)lists(dot)caldera(dot)com, jls(at)caldera(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2002-10-28 16:07:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org> forwards:
>>> My inclination is to change the code for ApplySortFunction to look like
>>>
>>> #if defined(__GNUC__)
>>> __inline__
>>> #endif
>>> int32
>>> ApplySortFunction
>>>
>>> so that the inline optimization only gets done for gcc, which we know
>>> interprets inline sanely. Anyone see a better answer?
>>
>> You've given us one source file. Is ApplySortFunction() really called
>> from other files? Another approach, assuming both this and that the
>> inlining is viewed as important for its three calls within this file,

Yup, both of those are correct: the performance-critical calls are in
the same file, but there are others.

>> to have a front end version of an internal function. To wit:
>>
>> static inline int32
>> StaticApplySortFunction(FmgrInfo *sortFunction, SortFunctionKind kind,
>> Datum datum1, bool isNull1,
>> Datum datum2, bool isNull2)
>> {
>> //etc.
>> }
>>
>> int32
>> ApplySortFunction(FmgrInfo *sortFunction, SortFunctionKind kind,
>> Datum datum1, bool isNull1,
>> Datum datum2, bool isNull2)

Grumble. I suppose we have to do it that way, but it's really pretty
stupid. Also, won't this fall foul of the original restriction
(ApplySortFunction referencing the static function myFunctionCall2)?
If not, why not?

> Until the open source base (and GCC) get around to matching the C99
> inline model,

Don't hold your breath... it looks like a net loss in functionality
for no gain, from where I sit.

regards, tom lane

> >> StaticApplySortFunction(FmgrInfo *sortFunction, SortFunctionKind kind,
> >> Datum datum1, bool isNull1,
> >> Datum datum2, bool isNull2)
> >> {
> >> //etc.
> >> }
> >>
> >> int32
> >> ApplySortFunction(FmgrInfo *sortFunction, SortFunctionKind kind,
> >> Datum datum1, bool isNull1,
> >> Datum datum2, bool isNull2)
>
> Grumble. I suppose we have to do it that way, but it's really pretty
> stupid. Also, won't this fall foul of the original restriction
> (ApplySortFunction referencing the static function myFunctionCall2)?
> If not, why not?

The change is that the inline function referencing the identifiers with
internal linkage also has internal linkage -- i.e., they're both static.
Since there can be only one definition of StaticApplySortFunction(),
there's no reason to restrict it's contents.

> > Until the open source base (and GCC) get around to matching the C99
> > inline model,
>
> Don't hold your breath... it looks like a net loss in functionality
> for no gain, from where I sit.

The GCC owners are now much more standards-aware and -driven than they
were 10+ years ago. I believe that they are going to (if not already)
have a way of interpreting "inline" according to the C99 standard. It
will probably not be the default, given the incompatibilities, but it'll
be there, somehow, sometime.

As far as I'm concerned, the C99 inline doesn't do "me" much good either,
as I cannot use it in headers to take the place of function-like macros
in standard headers, either. But, this is what you get with Committees--
specifications that make everyone unhappy at roughly equivalent levels. :-)

Since "inline" (as specified in C99) is pretty much just a hint to the
compiler in much the same way that "register" was in the good old days,
it really shouldn't matter too much one way or another, but feel free
to use it as you desire.

--
Dave Prosser dfp(at)caldera(dot)com (908)790-2358 The SCO Group, Murray Hill, NJ