Re: PostgreSQL slammed by PHP creator

Lists: pgsql-general
From: "Arturo Perez" <aperez(at)hayesinc(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL slammed by PHP creator
Date: 2006-09-14 15:27:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

Any response to this:

From the FA:

One performance enhancement that Lerdorf suggested based on code analysis was to use MySQL instead of PostgreSQL for the database.

"If you can fit your problem into what MySQL can handle it's very fast," Lerdorf said. "You can gain quite a bit of performance."

For the items that MySQL doesn't handle as well as PostgreSQL, Lerdorf noted that some features can be emulated in PHP itself, and you still end up with a net performance boost.

-arturo