Unable to compile java file with all Classpaths set

From: "Kareem Habib" <kareem(dot)habib(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unable to compile java file with all Classpaths set
Date: 2007-06-22 19:40:30
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I need to connect to a PostgreSQL database
through JAVA and so naturally I checked out the JDBC drivers. I downloaded
the JDBC 3 driver (both 8.2 and the 8.3dev) as I am using JDK 1.5. I set the
CLASSPATH in the environment variables to C:\postgresql.jar (I renamed the
one i was using to this). I then wrote a test file that will make sure that
I've set up everything correctly. I found this sample on the net so I
decided to use it... I only wanted it to compile, nothing more.

import java.sql.*;

public class maxi{
public static void main(String[] args){
Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");

String url = "jdbc:postgresql://server8.cs.uofs.edu/";
String dbname = "uofsis";
String usernm = "bi";
String passwd = "";
Connection db = DriverManager.getConnection(url+dbname, usernm,
passwd);

Statement st = db.createStatement();

String sql = "SELECT name, title " + "FROM faculty f, course c " +
"WHERE f.id = c.instructor";
ResultSet rs = st.executeQuery(sql);

st.close();
db.close();
}
}

Every time I compile it I get the following output:

C:\>javac maxi.java
maxi.java:5: unreported exception java.lang.ClassNotFoundException; must be
caug
ht or declared to be thrown
Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
^
maxi.java:11: unreported exception java.sql.SQLException; must be caught or
decl
ared to be thrown
Connection db = DriverManager.getConnection(url+dbname, usernm,
pass
wd);
^
maxi.java:13: unreported exception java.sql.SQLException; must be caught or
decl
ared to be thrown
Statement st = db.createStatement();
^
maxi.java:16: unreported exception java.sql.SQLException; must be caught or
decl
ared to be thrown
ResultSet rs = st.executeQuery(sql);
^
maxi.java:18: unreported exception java.sql.SQLException; must be caught or
decl
ared to be thrown
st.close();
^
maxi.java:19: unreported exception java.sql.SQLException; must be caught or
decl
ared to be thrown
db.close();
^
6 errors

I've tried versions 1.5 and 1.6 of the JDK on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and
Ubuntu Linux using JDBC 3 and JDBC 4 drivers for 8.0, 8.2, and 8.3dev and
they all output the same errors. I also tried writing it using NetBeans and
importing the jar file into its libraries for the test project I created.
The same errors appeared. What am I missing here?? Perhaps somebody can
help.

Thanks
Kareem