Re: Problem with index not always being used

From: "Rob Tester" <robtester(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with index not always being used
Date: 2007-02-18 00:26:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks for the thoughts, certainly I will look into what you have explained.
However, the behavior that you expressed isn't what is occuring. In the 12,
16 example 12 does have more rows than 16. However, there are many cases
when this isn't true, that is other states have more rows than 12 and the
optomizer does use the index when I query them. There are 6 states total
that the optomizer doesn't use the index. The other 5 states would rank row
rise in the minority (of number rows) which would make me believe the
optomizer would want to use the index. That said I am investigating the
statistics and the random_page_cost.

Thank you for your insight.

Rob.