Re: Process Time X200

From: "Matthew Nuzum" <mattnuzum(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: NbForYou <nbforyou(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Michael Fuhr" <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Process Time X200
Date: 2006-03-10 15:48:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 3/10/06, NbForYou <nbforyou(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hey Michael, you sure know your stuff!
>
> Versions:
>
> PostgreSQL 7.3.9-RH running on the webhost.
> PostgreSQL 8.0.3 running on my homeserver.
>
> So the only solution is to ask my webhost to upgrade its postgresql?
> The question is will he do that? After all a license fee is required for
> commercial use. And running a webhosting service is a commercial use.
>
> thanks for replying and going through the effort of creating the database
> and populating it.
>
> Nick

You can look at the explain analyze output of the query from pg 7.3,
figure out why the plan is bad and tweak your query to get optimum
performance.

Yes, I agree with the other statements that say, "upgrade to 7.4 or
8.x if you can" but if you can't, then you can still work on it.

--
Matthew Nuzum
www.bearfruit.org