Re: compressed protocol

From: zeljko <zeljko(at)holobit(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: compressed protocol
Date: 2006-09-15 16:24:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Michael Fuhr wrote:

> That's a tenuous conclusion; it assumes that the data transfer is

Are you trying to say that data won't be compressed ?

> what's taking all the time. Query planning and execution and
> client-side processing must also be taken into account. Using a
> sniffer to observe the amount of data transferred would be a more
> appropriate test.

From client connection:
EXPLAIN SELECT sfi,nvi,jmi FROM articles ORDER BY sif;
QUERY PLAN
Index Scan using articles_pkey on articles (cost=0.00..1031.61
rows=12410 width=42)
(1 row)

So it returns 12410 rows :
sfi = INTEGER, nvi = varchar(50), jmi = varchar(3).

Yes, I know that my conclusions are tenuous, but what to say when
both tests returns result in approx. amount of time
(compressed or not).

Using compression on my nTier (kbmMW (ZLIB) ) same query returns
in 9 seconds (!=20 secs !). (same client, same server , same query).

cheers,
zac