Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?

From: "Asko Oja" <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?
Date: 2008-07-28 15:11:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers

Just my non hacker view on the pl/proxy matter.

>From FAQ:
PL/Proxy is compact language for remote calls between PostgreSQL databases.

Why we submitted pl/proxy into core at all?
1. Current core distribution contains dblink which sucks both usability wise
and security wise but being part of core distribution will be first thing
people are going to try out. We wanted to save people losing couple of days
trying out dblink before looking for other alternatives like it happend with
us.
2. Various languages are part of core distribution and pl/proxy by adding
possibility to call remotely procedures created with these languages seems
to be logical extension to PostgreSQL in general. And it makes it essential
for pl/proxy to stay compatible with all the developments in function
calling syntax.
3. And last but not least to make it easier to use for whoever who might
need to do remote procedure calls between PostgreSQL servers.

So i rephrase your question:
Would capability to do remote procedure calls useful addition to PostgreSQL
feature set?

In my experience when organization grows out of one database on one server
remote calls are needed quite soon.

About citext. Skype is using various hacks and workarounds because there was
no such type in PostgreSQL and i understand others also. To me it seems to
be choice between couple of developers doing it once and for all and
hundreds of developers inventing the wheel every day and not to mention
hours spent debugging over various layers of applications. It just shows how
hackers have totally different point of view on things from people who are
using the program:) But again i am just a manager and should be lower than
grass in hackers list :)

regards.
Asko
skype: askoja

PS: I am sorry for this reply coming so late didn't want to spoil my
vacation :)