Re: Load Distributed Checkpoints test results

From: "Gregory Maxwell" <gmaxwell(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Load Distributed Checkpoints test results
Date: 2007-06-15 20:28:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/15/07, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> While in theory spreading out the writes could have a detrimental effect I
> think we should wait until we see actual numbers. I have a pretty strong
> suspicion that the effect would be pretty minimal. We're still doing the same
> amount of i/o total, just with a slightly less chance for the elevator
> algorithm to optimize the pattern.

..and the sort patching suggests that the OS's elevator isn't doing a
great job for large flushes in any case. I wouldn't be shocked to see
load distributed checkpoints cause an unconditional improvement since
they may do better at avoiding the huge burst behavior that is
overrunning the OS elevator in any case.