Re: BUG #2429: Explain does not report object's schema

From: Cristiano Duarte <cunha17(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2429: Explain does not report object's schema
Date: 2006-05-09 23:45:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Hi Tom,

Tom Lane wrote:
>> Explain command does not report the schema of objects,
>
> This is intentional. Most error messages don't mention objects' schemas
> either, as it would usually just be clutter.
Oracle's EXPLAIN PLAN generate lots of information including the operation,
search columns, schema(owner) and object name.

In PostgreSQL, the error message when you issue a select statement from an
unexistent table, reports the schema too:

SELECT * FROM public.unexistent;
ERROR: relation "public.unexistent" does not exist

In this case the schema name is clutter, since we are dealing with only one
table, but when you have (or may have) many tables with the same exact
name, you must have a way to distinguish one to another.

This problem is much more significant with the EXPLAIN command since we are
reporting the execution plan of postgresql. It may be difficult with the
current output to distinguish between tables with the same name in order to
optimize the query.

I just think that there should be a way to uniquely identify the target
table on the EXPLAIN output, that's why I don't think that a way to fix an
ambiguous output is clutter.

Regards,

Cristiano Duarte