Re: problems with large table

From: "Phoenix Kiula" <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Mike Charnoky" <noky(at)nextbus(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problems with large table
Date: 2007-09-12 20:20:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On 13/09/2007, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Mike Charnoky wrote:
>
> > Alvaro: The cluster suggestion probably won't help in my case since data
> > in the table should already be naturally ordered by date.
>
> It's not helpful only for reordering, but also for getting rid of dead
> tuples.

Apart from creating a new table, indexing it, then renaming it to
original table -- is there an alternative to CLUSTER that doesn't
impose a painful ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock on the table? We are on
Postgres 8.2.3 and have a heavy duty table that starts showing its
limits after a week or so. Autovacuum is on and working. FSM etc is
fine, maintenance_work_mem is 256MB. But cluster still takes upwards
of 30 minutes, which is unacceptable downtime for our web service.
Thanks for any tips!