Re: Moving to postgresql and some ignorant questions

From: "Phoenix Kiula" <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: A(dot)M(dot) <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving to postgresql and some ignorant questions
Date: 2007-08-14 15:36:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Thank you AM. Very useful note, must appreciate the info you shared.

About COPY, I have two simple questions:

1. Is there anything like an ALTER DATABASE command? I would like to
change the character set without having to recreate the DATABASE
again!

2. Also, when I do a mysqldump I seem to be ending up with "\r" in my
lines, or so the COPY command tells me:

ERROR: literal carriage return found in data
HINT: Use "\r" to represent carriage return.
CONTEXT: COPY links, line 962974

But afaik, there is nothing in my data in MySQL that contains the new
line characters! I have checked and rechecked in the DB to find such
characters. I cannot open that text file to check because it contains
a lot of data (from about 7 million records). So I tried to do a "grep
'\r' FILENAME" but that doesn't help either because of course there is
a newline character, that is what is used to separate a line! Is
there anything else I can do to make sure mysqldump data comes
through? Perhaps separate fields by TABS and lines by a specific
character such as "`"?

TIA for any thoughts.