Re: insert performance for win32

From: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: insert performance for win32
Date: 2005-11-03 21:46:52
Lists: pgsql-performance

""Merlin Moncure"" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com> wrote

> Running from remote, Time progression is:
> First 50k: 20 sec
> Second : 29 sec
> [...]
> final: : 66 sec

This may due to the maintainence cost of a big transaction, I am not sure
... Tom?

> so, clear upward progression of time/rec. Initial time is 2.5k
> inserts/sec which is decent but not great for such a narrow table. CPU
> time on server starts around 50% and drops in exact proportion to insert
> performance. My earlier gprof test also suggest there is no smoking gun
> sucking down all the cpu time.

Not to 100%, so this means the server is always starving. It is waiting on
something -- of couse not lock. That's why I think there is some problem on
network communication. Another suspect will be the write - I knwo NTFS
system will issue an internal log when extending a file. To remove the
second suspect, I will try to hack the source to do a "fake" write ...

Regards,
Qingqing