Re: big database with very small dump !?

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joao Ferreira gmail" <joao(dot)miguel(dot)c(dot)ferreira(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: big database with very small dump !?
Date: 2008-08-11 16:58:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Joao Ferreira gmail
<joao(dot)miguel(dot)c(dot)ferreira(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm finding it very strange that my pg takes 9Giga on disk but
> pg_dumpall produces a 250Mega dump. 'VACUUM FULL' was executed
> yesterday.
>
> Is this normal ? Should I be worried ?

It really depends. If you've got a lot of indexes then maybe that's
normal. But most the time you don't see more than about 4 times the
space used in the db as in the dump.

It's likely you've got index bloat. If you reload a pg_dump of the
database in question into another server how much space does that take
up? Look into using CLUSTER or REINDEX to fix the space usage.