Re: select count() out of memory

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "tfinneid(at)student(dot)matnat(dot)uio(dot)no" <tfinneid(at)student(dot)matnat(dot)uio(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: select count() out of memory
Date: 2007-10-25 15:27:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/25/07, tfinneid(at)student(dot)matnat(dot)uio(dot)no
<tfinneid(at)student(dot)matnat(dot)uio(dot)no> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am volume testing a db model that consists of a paritioned tables. The
> db has been running for a week and a half now and has built up to contain
> approx 55000 partition tables of 18000 rows each. The root table therefore
> contains about 1 billion rows. When I try to do a "select count(*)" of the
> root table, it does some work for a while, perhaps 5-10 minutes and the
> aborts with
>
> ERROR: out of memory
> DETAIL: Failed on request of size 130.

So, out of curiosity, I asked my Oracle DBA friend if she'd ever heard
of anyone having 60,000 or so partitions in a table, and she looked at
me like I had a third eye in my forehead and said in her sweet voice
"Well, that would certainly be an edge case". She sounded like she
was worried about me.