Postgres security issue - protecting datafiles

From: zferentz(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres security issue - protecting datafiles
Date: 2008-06-02 22:16:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,
I'd like to use postgres to store my secret data in a way that only
me (the DBA, owner of the table) can access the talbe while the root
(system administrator) who installed and maintains the server - will
not be able to see the data.

Now, I think that "db authentication" is simply not enough , because
the administrator can copy the data files to his own machine (where he
is the owner of the database).

Is there a way to protect the data files, so even the "malicious
administrator" cannot see the data ?

tnx,
zferentz