Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All

From: Mike Rylander <miker(at)purplefrog(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All
Date: 2004-07-09 17:53:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dennis Bjorklund wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> I think we agreed on BEGIN NESTED/COMMIT NESTED, and START NESTED
>> TRANSACTION and COMMIT NESTED TRANSACTION.
>
> Should I read this as pg will get its own implementation of sub
> transactions and not implement the almost equivalent standard (sql99)
> savepoint feature?
>
> Will we in the future see savepoints as well?

I'm not a core developer, but that is what it looks like.

> And when that happen, should
> we then recommend that people use the standard feature and stay away from
> the pg only feature?

Nested transactions and savepoints serve two different purposes. They have
some overlap, but for the most part solve two distinct problems.

> Doesn't anyone but me think is all backwards?

I don't think so, especially as there has been some talk of implimenting
savepoints as a subset of nested transactions.

--miker