Re: Page Scan Mode in Hash Index

From: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Page Scan Mode in Hash Index
Date: 2017-08-23 14:09:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08/23/2017 07:38 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> Thanks for the new version. I again looked at the patches and fixed
> quite a few comments in the code and ReadMe. You have forgotten to
> update README for the changes in vacuum patch
> (0003-Improve-locking-startegy-during-VACUUM-in-Hash-Index_v7). I
> don't have anything more to add. If you are okay with changes, then
> we can move it to Ready For Committer unless someone else has some
> more comments.

Just some minor comments.

README:
+ it's pin till the end of scan)

its pin till the end of the scan)

+To minimize lock/unlock traffic, hash index scan always searches entire
hash

To minimize lock/unlock traffic, hash index scan always searches the
entire hash

hashsearch.c:

+static inline void _hash_saveitem(HashScanOpaque so, int itemIndex,
+ OffsetNumber offnum, IndexTuple itup);

There are other instances of "inline" in the code base, so I guess that
this is ok.

+ * Advance to next tuple on current page; or if there's no more, try to

Advance to the next tuple on the current page; or if done, try to

Best regards,
Jesper