Re: inserting to a multi-table view

From: "Michael Shulman" <shulman(at)mathcamp(dot)org>
To: "Craig Ringer" <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: inserting to a multi-table view
Date: 2008-06-17 03:32:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Craig Ringer
<craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
>> I want to be able to do INSERTs on "studentinfo" and have rows created
>> in both "person" and "student". This requires first inserting into
>> "person", capturing the "person_id" of the resulting row, and using it
>> to insert into "student". This seems as though it must be a common
>> situation.
>
> Have you considered using table inheritance to solve this?

No, I don't think table inheritance will help. My actual situation is
somewhat more complicated: the view takes data from more than two
tables with a many-to-one rather than one-to-one relationship. For
instance, consider tables "person", "address", and "phone", with a
view "person_with_contact_info" that joins a person with their primary
address and phone number, while inserting to the view should insert a
person along with an address and phone number. In that case there is
no table that can inherit from the other to solve the problem.

Mike