Re: BUG #14932: SELECT DISTINCT val FROM table gets stuck in an infinite loop

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Todd A(dot) Cook" <tcook(at)blackducksoftware(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #14932: SELECT DISTINCT val FROM table gets stuck in an infinite loop
Date: 2017-12-06 13:33:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 12/05/2017 11:33 PM, Todd A. Cook wrote:
> On 12/05/17 17:01, Tomas Vondra wrote:

>>> FWIW, I can also reproduce the infinite loop with 167834 unique values.
>>>

>> Unique values or unique *hash* values?
>
> Unique values.
>

>> Can you share the data, so that whoever fixes the bug can verify it also
>> fixes your example?
>
> Sure.  It's attached.

Seems the dataset has pretty much the same issue as the one reported
before, that is

select hashint8(val), count(distinct val), count(*) from temp_f_03 group
by 1 order by 2 desc;

hashint8 | count | count
-------------+-------+-------
-1971396144 | 45 | 45
2035896403 | 42 | 42
-1633843397 | 30 | 30
1425704662 | 29 | 29
-455482779 | 22 | 22
-300163565 | 17 | 17
-1803963420 | 17 | 17
-537082846 | 14 | 14
603707034 | 13 | 13
-176369887 | 12 | 12
1274957136 | 11 | 11
1465522632 | 11 | 11
-1589862230 | 10 | 10
-1145403239 | 10 | 10

i.e. there are many hash collisions (more than in the other data set).

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com