Re: How to get RTREE performance from GIST index?

From: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Clive Page <cgp(at)star(dot)le(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to get RTREE performance from GIST index?
Date: 2009-11-22 11:52:41
Lists: pgsql-general

2009/11/22 Clive Page <cgp(at)star(dot)le(dot)ac(dot)uk>

>> Unfortunately it isn't a "few minutes". To re-run in v8.1 I have to
> reload many tables into a different installation using v8.1: some of the
> tables have a few million rows and hundreds of columns. Then I have change
> some scripts to add an EXPLAIN command and log the resulting output (rather
> than getting the results that I actually want). This will take hours. I
> will try to do it soon, but cannot do it instantly. I have some data that I
> want to process first.
>
> I agree that this is a bug in Postgres - the bug was removing code that
> worked perfectly well and upon which some users depended. I simply don't
> understand why the Rtree code could not have been left in there, for those
> who found that the new-fangled GIST indexing did not work.

Hi Clive,

Since this is a performance issue, this should probably have been sent to
the pgsql-performance mailing list. But in any case, the vast majority of
performance issues require an EXPLAIN output, or preferably with ANALYZE
also as there is nothing to help diagnose what the query planner it
attempting to do.

Please also see: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

It's always of interest to developers if there are corner cases that might
identify overlooked scenarios, so it's always appreciated if enough
information is provided to recreate the conditions to see whether there is a
genuine problem in the software itself.

Regards

Thom