Re: How to speed up word count in tsearch2?

From: Mike Rylander <mrylander(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Yudie Pg <yudiepg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to speed up word count in tsearch2?
Date: 2005-04-01 12:17:56
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Apr 1, 2005 4:03 AM, Yudie Pg <yudiepg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > You need to look at what else is using RAM on that machine. And maybe buy
> > more.
>
> Ouch.. I had that feeling also. then how can I know how much memory
> needed for certain amount words? and why counting uncommon words are
> faster than common one?

Because the index is a tree. You fall of the end of a branch faster
with uncommon words. Plus the executor goes back to the table for
fewer real rows with uncommon words.

It sounds like you may just need a faster disk subsystem. That would
shrink the time for the first query on any particular set of words,
and it would make everything else faster as a nice side effect. What
does your disk layout look like now?

--
Mike Rylander
mrylander(at)gmail(dot)com