Re: A couple of PG schedule reminders

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Andrew Chernow" <achernow(at)esilo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: A couple of PG schedule reminders
Date: 2008-03-03 19:58:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:23 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Don't forget that our first "commit fest" for 8.4 development starts
> Saturday March 1. If you've got a patch that you'd like reviewed in
> this fest, it's time to send it in. (But there's plenty more fests
> to come, so don't panic about it.)
>
> Also, 8.3.0 has been out for almost a month, so it's time to start
> thinking about 8.3.1. The current plan is to freeze 8.3.1 on Thursday
> Mar 13 for public announcement Monday Mar 17; though of course this
> could change in the event of discovery of disastrous bugs.
>
> A note about the relationship of these events: IMHO commit fest
> should not affect our handling of maintenance of existing releases.
> Investigation and patching of bugs that are in the field has always
> had high priority regardless of where we are in a development/release
> cycle, and I don't see commit fests as changing that. But if anyone
> wants to argue for a different policy, feel free to do so...

I am interested in securing a review/discussion for the libpq
parameter stuff. See:
(http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches_hold/thrd6.html) -> PGparam.
http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20080111.184825.26caadc0.en.html

The code is functional, tested, documented, and (unfortunately) not
very well discussed. It's a fairly big patch with various
implementation compromises so maybe a reviewer guide is in order. A
new version with some very minor bug fixes is coming soon.

merlin