Re: failed to unlink, Permission denied

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "M S" <arthur_ringworn(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: failed to unlink, Permission denied
Date: 2007-08-09 12:19:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On 8/9/07, M S <arthur_ringworn(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:
> I left our app on soak test overnight, it ran fine for some time but after a few hours I noticed the following messages repeated in the log (the tmp filename changes, but the PlPgSql function which causes it does not).
> 2007-08-08 17:25:57 LOG: failed to unlink "pg_tblspc/16403/16404/pgsql_tmp/pgsql_tmp5260.0": Permission denied
>
> 2007-08-08 17:25:57 CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function "JobTargetNextUnsentGet" line 40 at for over select rows
> The PlPgSql function is just a SELECT with 2 INNER JOINS, an integer comparison WHERE clause, with an ORDER BY time and a LIMIT 1.
>

> Could anyone please suggest what could be behind this error?
>
> I have checked the Changelog from 8.2.3-8.2.4 and nothing look relevant.

no, but (IMO) 8.2.4 is a required upgrade....so you should be testing that.

The server is unable to delete a file (specifically, a temporary
table created for sorting). Have you considered any running services
that may acquire a lock on the table (windows is famous for this).
This may also suggest you need to look at the work_mem setting, but
this is not the issue at hand.

is the error repeatable?

merlin