Re: [PERFORM] improvise callbacks in plpgsql

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] improvise callbacks in plpgsql
Date: 2005-11-03 14:01:52
Lists: pgsql-performance pgsql-www

On 11/2/05, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 05:44:30PM -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > Can we get a link to this posted somewhere? I guess on techdocs?

> > > asked
> > > very
> > >
> > > Sure. In fact, I had already decided this to be the next topic on
> > > my blog. I'm assuming you are asking about tools to deal with
> > > recursive sets in postgresql. A plpgsql solution is extremely
> > > fast, tight, and easy if you do it right...Tom's latest
> > > suggestions (I have to flesh this out some more) provide the
> > > missing piece puzzle to make it really tight from a classic
> > > programming perspective. I don't miss the recursive query syntax
> > > at all...IMO it's pretty much a hack anyways (to SQL).
>
> This might be worth putting in the docs somewhere. Tutorial?

you guys can do anything you like with it...

I'm working on part two which will build on the previous example and
show how to pass in a function to use as a callback, kind of like a
functor.

btw, the blog examples are a reduction of my own personal code which
went through a vast simplification process. I need to test it a bt
before it hits doc quality, there might be some errors lurking there.

Merlin