Re: Range types

From: Nicolas Barbier <nicolas(dot)barbier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Range types
Date: 2009-12-15 15:16:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de writes:
>
>> (and as Andrew Dunstan pointed out off-list: I was wrong with my bold
>> assertion that one can squeeze infinitely many (arbitrary length)
>> strings between two given. This is not always the case).
>
> Really?  If the string length is unbounded I think you were right.

Assuming lexicographical ordering (first different character
determines order; end-of-string is sorted before anything else),
consider the following two strings:

<whatever>

and

<same whatever as before> + the character with the lowest value in
lexicographical ordering.

I don't think it is possible to get anything in between those two strings.

Nicolas