Re: generic options for explain

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: generic options for explain
Date: 2009-05-25 03:06:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 24 May 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

> A serious problem with EXPLAIN via a function returning set, or with
> putting the result into a table, is that set results are logically
> unordered, just as table contents are.

Fair enough; I think Pavel and myself were presuming an implied "line
number" in the output there that, as you point out, doesn't actually
exist. The actual implementation detail there doesn't really change the
spirit of what I was trying to suggest though: that this feature should
get designed starting with the expected output and how to generate it,
then work backwards towards how you pass it parameters.

On that topic, I though Tom Raney was the latest to update code for the
XML output at least. Code and a presentation going over everything is at
http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~raneyt/gsoc/ and there's a video at
http://www.postgresqlconference.org/2008/west/talks/

A note about that got sent to this list at one point but I don't see any