Re: Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion
Date: 2017-04-02 16:29:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Corey,

> I'm anxious to help with these patches, but they seem a bit of a moving
> target. Happy to jump in and review as soon as we've settled on what should
> be done.

The "v3" I sent basically adds both client & server version numbers in
client-side variables, basically same code as suggested by Pavel for the
server version, and some documentation.

The questions are:

- which version should be provided (10.0 100000 ...)

- how should they be named?

In v3 there is VERSION{,_NAME,_NUM} for client and
SERVER_VERSION_{NUM,NAME} or SVERSION_NUM suggested
by Pavel for server.

- how desirable/useful is it to have this in 10?

Despite that this was not submitted in the relevant CF...
I created an entry in the July one, but this is for 11.

--
Fabien.