Re: checkpointer continuous flushing

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: checkpointer continuous flushing
Date: 2015-06-26 19:47:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Note that I'm not comparing to HEAD in the above tests, but with the new
> options desactivated, which should be more or less comparable to current
> HEAD, i.e. there is no sorting nor flushing done, but this is not strictly
> speaking HEAD behavior. Probably I should get some figures with HEAD as well
> to check the "more or less" assumption.

Just for answering myself on this point, I tried current HEAD vs patch v4
with sort OFF + flush OFF: the figures are indeed quite comparable (see
below), so although the internal implementation is different, the
performance when both options are off is still a reasonable approximation
of the performance without the patch, as I was expecting. What patch v4
still does with OFF/OFF which is not done by HEAD is balancing writes
among tablespaces, but there is only one disk on these tests so it does
not matter.

tps & stddev full speed:

HEAD OFF/OFF

tiny 1 client 727 +- 227 221 +- 246