Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date: 2008-02-08 03:56:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Mark,

> I encourage all to keep their minds open.

Good:-)

My 0.02 EUR (or even less) on the recurrent SCM flame war on the list.

ISTM that a decentralized or distributed SCM for PostgreSQL would be a bad
move, however great it would be at branching and merging. For me it is a
philosophy question: if PGSQL is a "common work", then everything should
be open and shared, and a centralized systems make sense to embodied this.
Even if one can publish one's branch easily with GIT, it's not the same,
because it is still a personnal branch somehow.

> From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:

git
n 1: a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible;
"only a rotter would do that"; "kill the rat"; "throw the
bum out"; "you cowardly little pukes!"; "the British call a
contemptible person a `git'" [syn: {rotter}, {dirty dog},
{rat}, {skunk}, {stinker}, {stinkpot}, {bum}, {puke},
{crumb}, {lowlife}, {scum bag}, {so-and-so}, {git}]

I'm not sure I would be proud to use such a stupidly named tool for a
"common work". I really do not share Linus humor, and apparent contempt
for other people. GIT implements "I want to chose whom I work with, and
don't care about the others, and don't ever want to have to look at their
ugly patches", or at least it is what I understood from his talk at Google
last year. Would this be the future spirit of PG devel? I hope not.

--
Fabien.