Re: Change the name (was: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL))

From: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)myyearbook(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Change the name (was: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL))
Date: 2007-09-03 20:46:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-de-allgemein

This isn't an EDB push, even tough several EDB people have advocated
the change. Bringing the project up to the times, technology wise
wouldn't be a bad idea, imho. Command Prompt already maintains the
technical end of what you're proposing, though not in the interest of
carrying a parallel community, afaik.

I haven't heard anyone interested in GPL'ing the code, and EDB would
have the least to gain from a GPL fork. Your comments seem to be more
flame bait than anything else, along with the argument that FreeBSD
breaks the username standard so we shouldn't change the project name.

Gavin