Re: [HACKERS] kqueue

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net>, Torsten Zuehlsdorff <mailinglists(at)toco-domains(dot)de>, Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com>, Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] kqueue
Date: 2020-01-20 13:34:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-12-20 01:26, Thomas Munro wrote:
> It's still my intention to get this committed eventually, but I got a
> bit frazzled by conflicting reports on several operating systems. For
> FreeBSD, performance was improved in many cases, but there were also
> some regressions that seemed to be related to ongoing work in the
> kernel that seemed worth waiting for. I don't have the details
> swapped into my brain right now, but there was something about a big
> kernel lock for Unix domain sockets which possibly explained some
> local pgbench problems, and there was also a problem relating to
> wakeup priority with some test parameters, which I'd need to go and
> dig up. If you want to test this and let us know how you get on,
> that'd be great! Here's a rebase against PostgreSQL's master branch,

I took this patch for a quick spin on macOS. The result was that the
test suite hangs in the test src/test/recovery/t/017_shm.pl. I didn't
see any mentions of this anywhere in the thread, but that test is newer
than the beginning of this thread. Can anyone confirm or deny this
issue? Is it specific to macOS perhaps?