gcc: why optimize for size flag is not the default

From: Nikhil Sontakke <nikhil(dot)sontakke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: gcc: why optimize for size flag is not the default
Date: 2009-03-11 08:14:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I was wondering why -Os is not used in place of -O2 while compiling the
Postgres sources with gcc. I prepared 2 install directories by respectively
using -Os and -O2 flags and in the former case it seems to reduce the
install footprint by about 1MB or so. Agreed this is not significant for
normal systems. But I was wondering if there is a performance reason too for
not using -Os.

Regards,
Nikhils
--