LIMIT and SUBQUERIES

From: cprice(at)hrdenterprises(dot)com (Chris)
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: LIMIT and SUBQUERIES
Date: 2003-03-03 18:54:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all,

This question may be a bit confusing, and it is entirely possible that
I am going about it the wrong way, but any suggestions would be much
appreciated. I'm trying to query a table of records that has a
(simplified) structure like the following:

owner int
description text
amount double

I want to do a select that returns the TOP 5 records ordered by
amount, PER OWNER. I can easily construct this SQL query, the problem
arises in the fact that I want to have groups of the top five per
owner (an owner can obviously have more than 5 records, but I just
want the top 5 for each).

So anyway, I have the query that is working - but it returns all
records for all owners, when what I really want to do is return the
top 5 per each owner.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Chris