Meaningful Exception handling

From: AgentM <agentm(at)cmu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Meaningful Exception handling
Date: 2002-04-16 18:50:22
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

First off, thanks for the quick help with my previous simple problem.

Now I'd like to catch SQLExceptions selectively. For example, I have
a uniquely indexed column in Table A. I would like to insert into
this column and I don't care if the insert fails due to duplication.
But I would want to know if something else went wrong. Is there a way
to specifically catch and ignore this particular instance of the
SQLException short of comparing a String to the database's returned
error message? Are there any docs referring to SQLException messages
thrown? Thanks again.
--
AgentM
agentm(at)cmu(dot)edu