Execution Plan Cost

From: Luis Vargas <Luis(dot)Vargas(at)cl(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Execution Plan Cost
Date: 2008-05-08 17:11:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At the backend, I'm measuring the cost of executing (via SPI_execute_plan)
the read-only plan of a simple query with no reference to tables. E.g.
simpleplan(int) AS SELECT $1 > 5

Executing this plan via SPI_execute takes around 70% more time than
directly executing the relevant operator function (int4gt) and using
DatumGetBool. Can anyone give me any insight into what operations account
for the extra execution time?

Thanks,

Luis Vargas