Re: Filesystem benchmarking for pg 8.3.3 server

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Filesystem benchmarking for pg 8.3.3 server
Date: 2008-08-13 10:15:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Really old software (notably 2.4 linux kernels) didn't send
> cache synchronizing commands for SCSI nor either ATA;

Surely not true. Write cache flushing has been a known problem in the
computer science world for several tens of years. The difference is that
in the past we only had a "flush everything" command whereas now we have a
"flush everything before the barrier before everything after the barrier"
command.

Matthew

--
"To err is human; to really louse things up requires root
privileges." -- Alexander Pope, slightly paraphrased