Re: Benchmark Data requested

From: Matthew <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Benchmark Data requested
Date: 2008-02-05 15:57:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Richard Huxton wrote:
>> Why would you need to lock the table?
>
> Because you're not really writing the WAL, which means you can't let anyone
> else get their data into any of the blocks you are writing into. You'd
> basically want to write the disk blocks then "attach" them in some way.

So what's wrong with "reserving" the space using the WAL, then everyone
else will know. After all, when you write the data to the WAL, you must
have an idea of where it is meant to end up. My suggestion is that you go
through all the motions of writing the data to the WAL, just without the
data bit.

Matthew

-- Ferenc Mantfeld