statistics buffer is full

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: statistics buffer is full
Date: 2006-11-09 02:46:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

What does the message 'statistics buffer is full' mean? And if I saw lots of
these in my logs what sort of bad things would happen? Presumably this is
related to the planner statistics? Would I expect to have bad plans if this
happens and how would I resolve it? This is what I found in the source, but
I'm not really sure what's going on here:

Part of:

pgstat_recvbuffer(void)
<snip>
/*
* As long as we have buffer space we add the socket to the read
* descriptor set.
*/
if (msg_have <= (int) (PGSTAT_RECVBUFFERSZ - sizeof(PgStat_Msg))
)
{
FD_SET(pgStatSock, &rfds);
maxfd = pgStatSock;
overflow = false;
}
else
{
if (!overflow)
{
ereport(LOG,
(errmsg("statistics buffer is full")));
overflow = true;
}
}

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/