Re: Context switching and Xeon processors

From: "Brandon Metcalf" <bmetcalf(at)nortel(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Context switching and Xeon processors
Date: 2005-12-06 21:45:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

t == tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us writes:

t> "Brandon Metcalf" <bmetcalf(at)nortel(dot)com> writes:
t> > We've been tuning the kernel (2.4 SMP flavor) and have improved
t> > performance quite a bit. I'm now wondering if turning off HT will
t> > improve performance even more. Based on the vmstat output below, is
t> > the context switching typical or too high?

t> Given that your CPU usage is hovering around 2%, it's highly unlikely
t> that you'll be able to measure any change at all by fiddling with HT.
t> What you need to be working on is disk I/O --- the "80% wait" number
t> is what should be getting your attention, not the CS number.

t> (FWIW, on the sort of hardware you're talking about, I wouldn't worry
t> about CS rates lower than maybe 10000/sec --- the hardware can sustain
t> well over 10x that.)

Yes, I agree the disk I/O is an issue and that's what we've been
addressing with the tuning we've been doing and have been able to
improve. I think that we really need to go to a RAID 10 array to
address the I/O issue, but thought I would investigate the context
switching issue.

Thanks for the information.

--
Brandon