Re: More atomic online backup

From: Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: Bruno Almeida do Lago <teolupus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: More atomic online backup
Date: 2006-01-07 06:33:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Bruno Almeida do Lago wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1) I've a pg cluster with 5 databases here. I was wondering if it's possible
> to make an online backup of 1 database only, not the entire cluster.

Check out tool pg_dump or the documents for other options.

> 2) Online backups at Oracle are done per tablespace. Do you see any
> advantage on this?

AFAIK, In Oracle, a tablespace is a set of (logically related) files
belongs to one database, so do tablespace backup is a natural option.
PostgreSQL can have several databases sharing one tablespace, which makes
the backup tablespace logically hard to understand, and we don't support
tablespace level backup yet.

Regards,
Qingqing