Re: dblink_ora - a first shot on Oracle ...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, EG <EG(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: dblink_ora - a first shot on Oracle ...
Date: 2003-07-21 07:45:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian writes:

> Joe, I can do the configure detection of the Oracle library needed for
> /contrib.

I have a philosophical problem with putting Oracle detection code into the
PostgreSQL build system. That way, you create a dependency that Oracle
needs to be installed before you install PostgreSQL, but of course we want
PostgreSQL to be first. Consider where this will be going. Soon,
configure will be full with detection code for half a dozen other database
systems. Perhaps a plug-in architecture for dblink is a better solution.
Or make dblink a separate project.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net