Re: massive quotes?

From: Jon Jensen <jon(at)endpoint(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: massive quotes?
Date: 2003-09-11 11:31:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 10 Sep 2003, Doug McNaught wrote:

> But Perl/DBI does escaping for you, so all you'd have to do is:
>
> $sth = $dbh->prepare
> ("CREATE FUNCTION foo(x text) RETURNS text AS ? LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'");
> $sth->execute($function_body);
>
> where $function_body is the unescaped form of the function. So
> there's no need for a COPY-style mechanism, you can use the current
> CREATE FUNCTION syntax without having to escape everything yourself.

Right; I'm not saying there's no reasonable way to deal with it in DBI
right now. I think the biggest benefit to a block-string quoting mechanism
is for scripts to feed to psql, but would prefer having a consistent SQL
solution that I could use when desired in libpq/DBI for times I build the
entire SQL statement in a string and call it with do().

Jon