Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes
Date: 2003-11-25 09:43:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> 1. Take out the character set conversion routines from the backend and
> make them a library of their own. This could possibly be modelled after
> iconv, but not necessarily. Or we might conclude that we can just use
> iconv in the first place.
>
> 2. Reimplement gettext to use 1. and allow switching of language and
> encoding at run-time.

Force all translations to be in unicode and convert to other client
encodings if needed. There is no need to support translations stored using
different encodings.

> 3. Implement Unicode collation algorithm and character classification
> routines that are aware of 1. Use that in place of system locale
> routines.

Couldn't we use some library that already have this, like glib (or
something else). If it's not up to what we need, than fix that library
instead.

--
/Dennis