Re: 7.3.1 UTF-8 bug(?) and 7.2.x Charset compatibility

From: Achilleus Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.3.1 UTF-8 bug(?) and 7.2.x Charset compatibility
Date: 2003-02-07 11:56:29
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Barry Lind wrote:

> Achilleus Mantzios wrote:
> > b) NOT GREEK RELATED!
> > With database_encoding set to SQL_ASCII, the server converts these wierd
> > 2 chars (0xA0 0x0A) to UTF-8, and then the driver simply fails.
> >
> > I think you should deal with problem b).
> > To create a test case is easy.
> > Create a SQL_ASCII database, then insert these 2 chars in a text column
> > (having typed these two chars with some utility like khexedit),
> > and then out.println this string.
> >

> Achilleus,
>
> I want to understand what you mean by 'deal with the problem'. Since

What i mean, is simply that either we dont allow these chars
to get inserted (setString methods maybe), and we let the
decodeUTF-8 method as is, or allow them to get inserted
and then convert them to the traditional '?' char.

Thanx

> 0xA0 and 0x0A are invalid SQL_ASCII characters, the only thing I can
> think of is to produce a better exception in this case. So instead of
> the current ArrayIndexOutOfBounds exception, this case would throw a SQL
> Exception with a message something like: "Invalid characters were
> found. This is most likely caused by stored data containing characters
> that are invalid for the character set the database was created in. The
> most common example of this is storing 8bit data in a SQL_ASCII database."
>
> thanks,
> --Barry

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept
Dynacom Tankers Mngmt
Nikis 4, Glyfada
Athens 16610
Greece
tel: +30-10-8981112
fax: +30-10-8981877
email: achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com
mantzios(at)softlab(dot)ece(dot)ntua(dot)gr