Re: literature about search-algorithms

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
To: pilsl(at)goldfisch(dot)at
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: literature about search-algorithms
Date: 2002-07-01 03:13:19
Lists: pgsql-general

pilsl(at)goldfisch(dot)at dijo:

> For querying loads of big postgreSQL-tables we want to develop a powerful
> searchengine that should be able to handle complex logical queries,
> scoring/ranking, relations (i.e. searching for "word1 near word2") and
> much more.
>
> Can you recommend any books, resources etc. to learn about the
> background of such searches, indexes and much more.

There's a book on text search algorithms, written by Gonzalo Navarro and
Matthiew Raffinot, "Flexible Pattern Matching in Strings", published by
Cambridge University Press. It's quite complete on the subject, though
it probably doesn't include some of the things you look for.

He also mantains a list of his own publications that includes lots of
papers that may be helpful to you in
http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~gnavarro/publ.html (the book is also mentioned
there).

Maybe you can also find something interesting in Ricardo Baeza's
"Modern Information Retrieval", published by Prentice-Hall;
http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~rbaeza

None of those uses a relational database, but you can probably adapt the
algorithms to your needs.

"Limitate a mirar... y algun dia veras"