Re: Proposal: Commit timestamp

From: Richard Troy <rtroy(at)ScienceTools(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Theo Schlossnagle <jesus(at)omniti(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Commit timestamp
Date: 2007-02-09 04:41:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Well how deep are we talking here? My understanding of what Jan wants to
> do is simple.
>
> Be able to declare which triggers are fired depending on the state of
> the cluster.
>
> In Jan's terms, the Origin or Subscriber. In Replicator terms the Master
> or Slave.
>
> This is useful because I may have a trigger on the Master and the same
> trigger on the Slave. You do not want the trigger to fire on the Slave
> because we are doing data replication. In short, the we replicate the
> result, not the action.
>
> However, you may want triggers that are on the Slave to fire separately.
> A reporting server that generates materialized views is a good example.
> Don't tie up the Master with what a Slave can do.

It'd be great if Jan considers the blending of replication; any given DB
instance shouldn't be only a master/originator or only a slave/subscriber.
A solution that lets you blend replication strategies in a single db is,
from my point of view, very important.

> > I have no clue what got you into what you are doing here.

Jan, some sleep now and then might be helpful to your public disposition.
-smile-

peace,
Richard

--