Re: SQL99 ARRAY support proposal

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Jason Earl <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>
Cc: Þórhallur Hálfdánarson <tolli(at)tol(dot)li>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL99 ARRAY support proposal
Date: 2003-03-14 20:01:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On 14 Mar 2003, Jason Earl wrote:

> It's all good Scott. Anyone wanting to use PostgreSQL arrays would
> undoubtedly open up the corresponding part of the manual that covers
> array functions. Since there is likely to be less than a page full of
> function definitions you could probably call the functions foo() and
> bar() and get away with it (please don't). While I personally think
> that join_str and split_str are somewhat more descriptive, implode and
> explode are fine.
>
> More importantly, since *you* are the one doing the actual legwork
> it's your call. IMHO that's one of the benefits of actually
> submitting code. You write the code, you get to pick the function
> names. Now, you might have some issues from the rest of the
> PostgreSQL hackers if you named the functions "marlowe-ify" and
> "un-marlowe-ify", but anything not completely ridiculous should be
> fine (and even marlowe-ify would have the advantage of not being a
> reserved word in any software I can think of off hand).
>
> As for the rest of the discussion, poking fun at development languages
> and tools is an age-old part of computers. PHP has the disadvantage
> of being both very popular, very new, and primarily a web technology
> (and of not being Lisp like :) so it draws more than its share of
> flames. It's all good fun.

Actually, I think it was someone else (Joe???) that is doing the leg
work, and he was the one choosing explode / implode and getting gruff for
it, so I was just stepping in and defending his decision.

I do think using a function name with the word join in it meaning anything
other than a SQL join is a recipe for confusion though.